The building of billboards is a complex process, and it’s not just about building the billboard itself. The design of the billboard, how it’s built, and how it’s positioned on its lot can all have an impact on whether or not that billboard will be effective for your business. It’s important to consider these factors before you decide where to build your next billboard.
To start with, you need to look at where the best location for your billboard will be. You’ll want to choose a location that has good visibility from both sides of the road so that drivers won’t miss it as they drive past. You also want to make sure that there aren’t any other structures nearby blocking their view of your sign—this could cause traffic accidents or even slow down traffic if drivers have trouble seeing what’s happening around them.
Once you’ve found a spot with great visibility, then comes the fun part: designing your billboard. This step is really important because every element of your sign should work together in order for it to be effective (and attractive). Therefore, you’ll want something that grabs attention while still being relevant to what you’re trying to promote.
You may have seen billboards on the highway or in a busy city and thought, “How much does it cost to build those?” The truth is, it depends on the size of the billboard and whether you want to rent or buy it. The average cost for building a billboard varies depending on your location and how many people are going to see it daily. To help get an idea of how much building one will cost you, let’s take a look at what goes into making these outdoor advertisements:
The foundation of your billboard will be the most expensive part of its construction. With that in mind, it’s important to make sure you get this aspect right from the start.
You have two options for a foundation: concrete or steel. Concrete foundations are cheaper and easier to work with on site, so they’re often used for small billboards. You should make sure that any concrete foundation is at least 2 feet deep when you pour it so that it can support your structure over time without cracking or sinking into the ground. If you have a larger billboard or want more stability, then steel may be better suited for your needs—but steel foundations typically require prefabrication off-site before they can be installed on site, which is more costly than pouring concrete directly into place.
Billboard Steel Frame
When it comes to the cost of building a billboard, there are two main options for constructing your billboard steel frames: aluminum or steel. The cheaper option is aluminum, with costs typically ranging from $1100 to $1500 per frame. Steel billboards are more expensive (typically around $1700 per frame), but they offer greater durability and longevity than their aluminum counterparts.
If you opt for a one-piece structure, you’ll get a very simple design that supports all of your panels at once—no need for additional pieces or adjustments. This can save money when comparing it to multiple-piece frames (which usually need extra costs associated with assembly). On the other hand, if you’re looking for something more complex than this basic model offers and have some flexibility in budgeting (e.g., if you’re willing to spend extra now so that future repairs won’t cost as much), then go ahead and choose a multi-part structure instead. You may also find it helpful during installation if having at least part of the structure preassembled means fewer screws on-site while installing everything else
Pole and Anchor
- Pole and anchor: The pole must be strong enough to support the billboard, and the anchors must be strong enough to hold it in place. They also have to withstand weather, wind, traffic impact, vandalism, and other factors that may cause damage.
Once you’ve decided to advertise on a billboard, you’ll need to choose your panel type. The most common types of billboard panels are:
- Vinyl Banner—a printed vinyl graphic that is usually applied directly over the face of the existing structure or attached by Velcro.
- Universal Sign Face—a printed aluminum panel that comes in different sizes and shapes. It’s designed with extruded aluminum ribs which allow for custom installations onto existing structures. This type of sign is often used on newer billboards because it can be installed easily on any size or shape structure.
- Prismatic—a translucent plastic sign with no backlighting; also known as “lightboxes”. They’re usually mounted flat against the side of buildings or other structures so they don’t stand out as much as other signs would when mounted at eye level. Lightboxes are popular because they’re lightweight and easy to install, but they won’t last as long as other types of signs due to their lack of durability (they’re made from thin acrylic).
Billboard lighting is a great way to make sure the most people see your billboard at night. The lights allow you to advertise during the hours that are otherwise dark, which means more opportunities for people to see your message and associate it with your product or service.
The most common type of billboard lighting uses fluorescent tubes, which are usually high intensity discharge (HID) lights. These lights can be used for up to 20 years before needing replacement and are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of lights like LEDs or incandescent bulbs, both of which lose brightness over time and need replacing more frequently than their HID counterparts.
As with any billboard, maintenance is essential to ensure that it continues to deliver the message you want your audience to see. In addition to regular cleaning, there are several common issues that may require repairs on your billboard:
- The screen needs to be replaced. Panels can become scratched or damaged over time, making it difficult for drivers and passengers in cars behind your billboard to read its messaging. A new panel will make sure that everyone can see what you’re advertising.
- The sign itself needs repair work done on it as well as the supporting structure. Depending on how long since they were installed or when last inspected by a professional cleaning crew, these components might not be in good enough shape anymore—and could even pose safety hazards if left unattended too long. This type of damage would need immediate attention so no one gets hurt while working around it (or worse yet after walking into one without warning).
Billboard Rental Rights
Rental rights are the price you pay to use a billboard for a period of time. Most billboard leases range from one year to five years, but some can be much longer. The price will depend on how long you want to rent the billboard for and what type of advertising your business wants to do with it. You may also have additional fees depending on what size of sign you use and if there is any branding required on the signage (such as printing your company’s name).
How Do I Find Out If It Is Available?
You can contact companies like Clear Channel Outdoor or Lamar Advertising Company directly to see if they have any available space on their billboards in your area. They will likely ask for some information about your business before providing an estimate for rental rates and other costs associated with renting out space on their billboards in your area
You should budget at least $20,000 or more for a new billboard
To get a ballpark idea of the cost to build a billboard, consider these factors:
- The location of your billboard. If it’s in a city or metropolitan area, expect to pay more than if it’s on a rural highway.
- Is it digital? Digital billboards are much pricier than static ones; they’re also harder to install, which drives up the price tag even more.
- How big is your billboard? Large billboards are pricier than small ones because they require additional materials and labor hours for installation and set-up.
A billboard is a great way to advertise your business. It gives you the opportunity to reach more potential customers and helps with brand recognition. You can expect that it will take a lot of time and effort before you see any profits from this type of advertising, but if you have patience and follow our tips then we think you’ll be able to succeed.