You can build a pallet deck using two or more pallets, each with the same number of slats. Cut a board slightly longer than the width on both sides of each pallet and place it against the top of one pallet. Drill through the slats at each end of the board and use a large screw (at least 2 inches in length) to secure it to each pallet. Repeat this process on all four sides. Attach safety rails below the decking: Use wood 2X4s or 2X6s as a support structure on top of each pallet. Secure them in place using lag screws, galvanized brackets and hardware cloth. This pallet deck is an easy DIY project that can save you money. Create a gorgeous outdoor space with this pallet deck, made from preparing and attaching pallets to create joists and stringers. Pallet decks are wooden platforms made from pallets, a common source of inexpensive material. They are sturdy, easy to assemble and require only basic tools to build.
For decking, pallets can be turned into something wonderful. A pallet deck is neat if you have a certain aesthetic in mind or want to save money. Pallets are easy to find and there are many ways you can build your own pallet deck for almost free. You’ll need the right supplies, such as screws and nails, for building your pallet deck. Before you begin constructing your pallet deck, it’s important to have an idea of what you want your finished product to look like so that you can prep the wood accordingly. Above all else, though: stay safe while working on this DIY project.
Save Money & Build A Deck From Repurposed Pallets
Building a deck from pallets is a great way to save money and use materials that are readily available. We found this particular design on Pinterest, but there are many other similar plans online. Once you have your pallets and tools, building a deck is fairly straightforward and can be done in just one day.
The first step is finding the right pallets for your needs. You want to find ones that aren’t too damaged or splintered so they will hold up when building your deck. If you live near an industrial area or warehouse district where shipping occurs frequently, there may be some available at no charge.
Know What To Look For In The Pallets You Use
When you start looking for pallets, you should look at a few things. First, you need to check the pallets for nails, splinters or rot. If there are nails left in the wood of the pallet it will create problems when you nail it down because your screws won’t be able to go all the way through. If there are splinters sticking out of the wood then they could get caught in your feet or hands while using your deck, so make sure that none of these things bother you before buying them. Next also make sure there aren’t any termites in any of them either and if there is any mold on them that’s considered bad too because this can also cause problems for people who have allergies.
Finally before deciding which one would work best with your project double check to see if everything else about each individual piece looks good too: If something seems off then just don’t buy it. It might seem like an easy decision right now but once we start working on building our decks together everything will become much clearer—and easier.
Get Supplies And Prep The Area You’ll Be Working On
- Get all the supplies you will need.
- Make sure you have a good workspace. You’ll want to lay down some plastic or cardboard so that your pallets won’t get scratched or marked up during the building process, and if possible, use a workbench rather than just laying them down on the ground or floor.
- Make sure you have all the tools that will be needed for this project (or borrow them). This includes:
- A hacksaw;
- Screwdrivers (flat-head and Phillips); and Some screws and nails in different sizes.
Prep Pallets And Lay Out The Foundation Of The Deck
The next step to building your pallet deck is to prep the pallets. This includes removing nails and debris, making sure they are level, and checking that they aren’t warped or too heavy. You want to make sure your materials are in good condition so you don’t waste any time trying to fix something that could have been avoided by taking care of it before hand.
Your goal with this part of the project is just to take some time and prepare yourself for what comes next: laying out the foundation for your deck.
Put Together The Deck’s Frame
The first step to building your deck is to put together its frame. For this, you’ll want to lay the pallets on their sides, so that their slats are positioned vertically.
- Place two of the shorter pallets together at a 90-degree angle and fasten them with screws or nails. Make sure that the slats overlap (the top of one should sit overtop of the bottom of another) and that you leave enough space between them for your footings (around 4 inches). Repeat until you have four corners created by these two pieces.
- Next, place two longer pallets end-to-end in an upside-down fashion so that their ends meet at right angles—this will give you a square shape with open sides. It’s important not only that these are level but also straight; make sure they’re parallel by measuring down from each edge with your tape measure and lining up both ends simultaneously as shown here:
Attach Flooring To Your Deck
Your pallet deck is complete! Now that you’ve assembled the structure, it’s time to add some finishing touches. First, you’ll want to attach flooring to the top of your deck. This can be done in a variety of ways—you may use a hammer and nails, or if you prefer a more permanent solution, consider using glue or screws (or both).
To ensure that everything is level and straight, use a level as a guide for each board as you nail it down. It helps if someone else holds the level while another person drives in nails from below.
Your pallet deck should measure approximately 20-40 square feet depending on how big/small you want it to be overall (and how many pallets were used). If you need more space than this, simply repeat this process until all areas are covered with flooring boards.
A pallet deck is an eco-friendly way to upcycle wood.
A pallet deck is an eco-friendly way to upcycle wood. It’s simple, affordable, and super easy to build. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get building.
- Use pallets instead of new lumber
- Use pallets instead of buying new lumber
- Use pallets instead of buying new lumber and having it delivered.
- Final words
I hope this article has given you a good idea of how to build your own pallet deck from scratch. It’s easier than it looks and the finished result looks great.