How To Build An Outdoor Wooden Platform: There are two ways to build a wooden platform, one is with concrete blocks and the other one is with treated wood. These platforms are extremely suitable for outdoor usage provided the surface area of your ground is more than enough to hold them in place. They can be purchased from the market too, but these ones aren’t as effective as the ones that come with assembly instructions on them. With this DIY guide you’ll learn how to build your own wooden platform by following step by step instructions. Once you’ve scheduled the materials, this outdoor wooden platform is fairly straightforward to put together. The process requires only a few tools, and a little time. It is the perfect addition to your backyard or patio area.
The purpose of this document is to break down all the steps required for building an outdoor wooden platform into discrete, actionable chunks.
Select the lumber.
Pressure-treated lumber is a good choice for an outdoor platform. It’s durable and lasts longer than untreated wood, which can rot or warp in the elements. Choose lumber that is the right size to fit your project so you aren’t left with too much leftover material at the end of your build. Consider whether or not you will need to cut your lumber as well if so, it’s important to select boards of varying lengths so you can create straight cuts without having to purchase new pieces or discard larger scraps of wood. Additionally, make sure that all of your lumber has been treated with preservative before using it on any project (this step isn’t necessary if you’re building something indoors).
The thickness of the pieces depends on what type of platform they’ll be used for a thinner piece will provide less support than a thicker one but may be easier to install into place if space is limited. The type depends on where they’ll be installed: outdoor platforms are usually made from pressure-treated pine whereas indoor ones are often made from hardwood like oak because these types of trees grow slower than others (and therefore take longer for rainwater runoff). You should also consider color options when selecting materials; if possible try using natural colors such as browns instead paints which contain chemicals that could leach into ground water when exposed over time due exposure.
Cut the wood.
- Use a miter saw to cut the lumber, following the measurement diagram provided. When you’re done cutting all of your lumber, make sure that each piece is labeled and organized according to its size.
- Use a circular saw to cut the 2x4s into eight pieces that are 20 inches long and one piece that is 28 inches long, according to the diagram.
- Use a table saw or other power tool with similar function to rip (slide along) one 4-foot 2×12 in half lengthwise so you have two pieces measuring 8 feet long by 1 ½ inches wide at their narrowest point these will be used as end supports on which the platform will rest while being built up later on in this project.
Build the base frame.
- Build the base frame:
- Use pressure treated lumber for the frame and a 2×6 for the base.
- Frame should be level, with no gaps between boards or at corners.
Add the first platform board.
- Using a level, make sure the first platform board is straight.
- Use a drill to make pilot holes for each screw.
- Screw in each of the four screws until they are tight. Use a screwdriver for this.
- If you want, add an additional layer of protection by hammering nails into each board at regular intervals along its length (about every four inches). This makes it stronger and less likely to tip over when people are standing on it. If you don’t have any nails lying around or don’t feel like making your own from scratch, use some wooden dowels instead! They work just as well but won’t leave sharp ends sticking out that could hurt anyone who comes close enough to touch them accidentally while playing outside with toys or other children nearby.
Assemble the rest of the platform.
Now that you’ve cut the boards to size, it’s time to assemble the rest of your platform.
First, make sure all four boards are straight and level by using a level across each one. If they’re not straight, use a power saw or hand saw (whichever you have) to adjust them until they are.
Next, clamp two of the boards together face-to-face at one end so that when you put them up on their feet, they will be flush with each other. Take another board the fourth one and measure from the center of one side until it reaches 1/2″ from where you want your first screw hole (or whatever distance works for your screws). Drill a pilot hole into both pieces there before screwing them together with as many screws as needed (make sure not to overdo it). Repeat this process for all four corners until all four sides are attached tightly together in three dimensions: top down; left side facing right side; front facing backside.
Attach the railings and stairs.
Attach the railings and stairs.
The next step is to attach your deck railing to the platform, using galvanized nails or screws. It’s important to use stainless steel fasteners if you plan on staining or painting your deck; contact cement will not adhere well to galvanized staples or nails. Once you’ve attached all of the railing sections, fill any gaps between boards with wood filler and let it dry completely before sanding smooth. Next, attach one side of each stair tread to its riser using a hammer and 2-inch finishing nails (or a power nail gun). Make sure that all stairs are level before nailing them down Finally, secure each stair assembly onto your platform per manufacturer instructions with screws from underneath at least 12 inches apart vertically.
A platform can be an attractive and useful addition to any yard.
A platform can be an attractive and useful addition to any yard. A platform can be built from wood, metal, or stone. It may be used as a storage area, seating area or even as a stage. Platforms come in various shapes and sizes.
This article will show you how to build an outdoor wooden platform.
As you can see, building an outdoor platform isn’t that difficult. It takes a bit of planning and some careful measuring, cutting, and fastening. However, if you follow the instructions in this post, you can build a sturdy platform for your yard in no time.