A coat rack for a wall is a great way to keep your home organized and stylish. It might seem like a complicated project but don’t be overwhelmed. The easiest way to create this DIY is to use an old wooden pallet and fasten it to the wall. You could also take off the slats from a wine rack and use those as hooks.
This can be accomplished in just 15 minutes if you have all your materials ready beforehand, so let’s get started.
Here’s How To Make A Coat Rack For Wall
Here’s how to make a coat rack for wall:
- Get the right tools. First, you’ll need the proper tools and materials for this job. You’ll need a drill, hammer and nails, screws or other fasteners if applicable, paint or stain (if desired), and any other hardware needed for mounting hardware.
- Consider budgeting time. This project can take about an hour if you’re experienced with DIY projects such as this one; however, it may take longer depending on how many coats you want to hang on your new rack! If you don’t have much experience with home improvement projects but still want to give this one a try anyway then make sure not only do all steps carefully but also understand that practice makes perfect when building something new like this coat rack so don’t get discouraged if things don’t go according plan because each step will teach us more about what works best next time around.
You Will Need
To make a coat rack, you will need:
- Wood – You can use any type of wood you want but the best choices are pine or cedar. These woods are strong and sturdy, so they won’t break easily. If they get damaged, they can easily be replaced or repaired by sanding down any rough edges. Pine is slightly cheaper than cedar but both types work well for building projects like this one.
- Drill – A cordless drill with a Phillips head bit will help speed up the process of installing your screws into the wood boards that form your coat rack base and hangers (the part where you hang clothes). You could also use an electric screwdriver if you don’t have access to a power outlet nearby or prefer not having cords hanging down during this project.
Cut The Wood
Using a miter saw, cut three pieces of wood to be the same length and about an inch wide. (This will make your coat rack sturdy.)
Apply wood glue to both ends of one piece of wood and slide it into the slot on top of another piece, rotating it 90 degrees so that they are parallel with each other. Then place a third piece at right angles to them so that you create a small triangle. Screw this together using two screws at each end. Repeat this process for all four pieces until your structure is complete, keeping in mind that the final structure should look like an upside down “T” with two small triangles on either side for feet.
Stain The Wood
Once the wood is dry, start applying the stain. Find a color that matches your wall paint and go over every inch of the wood with a brush. The stain should be absorbed by the wood grain, but not so much that it looks like watermarks on paper. Use a cloth to wipe off excess stain to ensure an even coat across all parts of the rack. Let this coat dry for 24 hours before applying another if needed.
Paint The Wood
You can paint the wood using a brush, roller or sprayer. If you are applying the paint with a brush, make sure to use a very small drop of liquid latex and spread it evenly on your surface. The latex will help create a smooth surface so that there’s no texture after application. If you want to apply several layers of base coat, allow each layer to dry before adding more paints.
Mark Where You Want Screws To Go On Wall And Mounting Board
Next, you will need to mark where you want each screw on the wall and mounting board. If there are any studs in the wall, make sure that they are securely fastened into place before hanging your coat rack.
It’s important to consider how many coats you want to hang on your coat rack, as well as how many hats and bags. It may be helpful for you to measure out how much room is available with a measuring tape before marking where all of these items will go on your wall and mounting board. Make sure that there is enough space left over so that someone can comfortably walk by without hitting their head against anything.
Mount The Wall Board And Hooks (and Add Stickers If You Want)
Mount the board on the wall using screws and mounting hooks. The more screws you use, the better (we suggest at least 20).
Now, hang the coat hooks from your newly mounted board. If you have a lot of coats or jackets, you may have to get creative with some additional hook placement. And if you want to add stickers for decoration, go ahead. This is a great way for kids to pass time during quarantine as well.
Making a coat rack for wall is not that hard.
- Step 1: Find a piece of wood that is as tall as you would like your rack to be. Then, measure the length of it using a measuring tape and mark where you want your coat hangers to go. The most traditional way to hang a coat rack is from one nail or hook on top of the other, but if you’re looking for something more creative and modern, feel free to get creative.
- Step 2: Hammer in nails at intervals along the length of board until there are enough holes for each hanger (or hooks) needed on your rack.
- Step 3: Drill holes into walls where you want vertical support bars attached so they stay firmly in place while holding coats above them with clothespins or other clips that can be found at any hardware store nearby. If drilling isn’t possible then use heavy duty adhesive instead.
The sky’s the limit when it comes time choosing materials used during construction process – just don’t forget about safety precautions such as wearing gloves when handling sharp objects like saws & drills which could cause injury if mishandled carelessly”
That’s it! Your coat rack is ready to be hung on your wall. This project is a fun and easy way to add some character to your home while also helping you stay organized. With just a few basic tools, you can make one of these yourself without spending much money at all! As always, we hope this tutorial helped inspire you to create something beautiful in your own life