While there are many ways to keep your valuables safe, one of the best is by installing secret compartments into walls. This can be done easily with just a few tools and some simple instructions. Whether you’re trying to hide jewelry or cash, this article will show you how
Step 1 – Identify an area where you want to create a secret compartment.
- The first step is to identify an area where you want to create a secret compartment. There are many factors that must be considered when choosing where to place the compartment, including:
- Size – You can make your secret compartment as large or small as you want, depending on what you plan on storing in it. If you’re adding a new closet or hiding space for valuables, consider making your hidden storage area large enough so that it won’t be noticed by people walking by—or even inside your home
- Location – Where do you want the secret compartment? Consider whether or not there is enough room in the house for this new addition and if there’s any chance someone will notice something out of place when walking by (i.e., if there are windows near where they’ll see the opening). This could also mean considering how much sunlight comes into certain rooms throughout the year (for example: closets tend not get much light because they’re often closed off).
- Measure out both sides using a measuring tape until each side reaches 8″ long and mark them both with pencil lines so that they can be cut later using scissors or other sharp tool like an X-Acto knife.”
Step 2 – Use the stud finder to find the area between two studs.
In the next step, you are going to drill a hole in the wall. To do this, use your stud finder and locate the area between two studs.
Once you have found it, use a drill to make a hole in the drywall. If you’re using drywall screws instead of nails for mounting your secret compartment, then make sure that they are long enough to go through both layers of drywall without coming out on either side.
After making a hole for your screws, remove some of the drywall by using a screwdriver or knife until there is enough room for everything else
Step 3 – Cut the drywall using a utility knife or a drywall saw.
- Cut the drywall using a utility knife or a drywall saw.
Use your utility knife to cut through the drywall, making sure to clean up any edges as you go along. (You can also use a drywall saw, but this will take longer.)
Step 4 – Clean up the edges. You can use the spackle to smooth it out and then paint over it so that it blends with the rest of the wall.
Now that you’ve finished building your secret compartment, it’s time to clean up the edges. You can use a putty knife or a small paint roller to smooth out any rough areas on the wall. Then, use an electric paintbrush to apply paint over everything so that it blends in with the rest of the wall. If you have access to high-quality sprayer equipment, this might be an option as well
Step 5 – Build a frame and use screws and lumber glue to attach it to the studs.
To make a frame, you need lumber, screws and glue.
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall.
- Cut holes in the drywall using a drywall saw. A utility knife can also be used if you don’t have an actual drywall saw (although this will take longer). Be sure to wear safety goggles when cutting through drywall because it can blow back and hurt your eyes
- Clean up any cuts with some sandpaper or a damp cloth so that they are smooth and even with the surrounding area of drywall around them; this will help ensure that your secret compartment looks nice once it’s finished being put together later on down this process
Step 6 – Install hinges and use caulk around them to prevent drafts from coming in. You can also drill holes into the back of the compartment so that you can screw your hinges into place.
Now that you have your empty compartment, it’s time to add hinges and make sure that the frame is sealed properly. First, caulk around the edges of your frame so that there are no drafts coming in through gaps. Then screw in two hinges on each side of the frame to attach them to your wall. Finally, drill holes into the back of your new secret compartment so you can use a screwdriver to tighten each hinge down securely and prevent it from falling off or shifting around too much.
If you want even more options for decorating or customizing this project, try using different types of wood or paint colors. You could also use some decorative items like flower vases inside these compartments as well
Having secret compartments in walls is useful for keeping valuables secure, but it’s easy to do too
Having secret compartments in walls is useful for keeping valuables secure, but it’s easy to do too!
Why would someone want a secret compartment in a wall? Well, if you have valuables that you don’t want people to know about, this is one way of hiding them. There are many other ways of hiding things though – behind the fridge or under floorboards are common examples which people often use instead of walls. So why bother building into a wall?
If you have lots of storage space already then adding more may not be necessary. However if there’s nowhere else for your valuables then putting them into walls does offer some advantages:
- You don’t need extra space as the compartments can be made smaller than usual; this means that they might even fit inside an existing cupboard or wardrobe without taking up any extra room on the floor or ceiling (depending on where they’re built).
- Adding more space will also mean having less clutter around your home; having all those items lying around everywhere can make it feel messy
The secret compartment we just made is a great way to hide important documents, money or other valuables. It’s also easy enough that anyone can do it and doesn’t require any special tools or skills. This project should take no more than an hour from start to finish, so get started now