Making Your Own Room Divider Screen is a quick and easy project that results in an elegant and trendy room divider screen. This project can be used as a decorative piece of furniture to divide any room, or it can be made into a functional screen for your living room or bedroom. It’s perfect for any space that needs some extra visual interest or privacy.
The best way to create a room divider screen is to make it yourself. You can use any material that you want, but the most popular materials include wood and fabric. This allows you to create a unique look that is perfect for your home or office. Here are some of the things that you will need to make your own room divider screen:
-Wooden dowel rod (you will need one for each side of the screen)
-Screws (make sure they are long enough to penetrate through both sides of the wood)
-Stain and varnish (to seal in moisture and prevent cracking over the time)
-Table saw (to cut dowel rods into three equal lengths)
What is A Room Divider Screen
A room divider is a piece of furniture that can be used to divide two rooms in your home. They’re most commonly used to separate living areas from dining areas, but they also may be used to create an office space in a home or apartment.
A room divider is usually larger than a folding screen (see below). Its name comes from its function, but it doesn’t necessarily need to be used just as a room divider. It can also serve as a beautiful decorative piece in your home.
Uses of Room Divider Screen
Here are some of the ways you can use your room divider screen:
- Separate the living room from the kitchen.
- Separate the kitchen from the dining room.
- Separate the dining room from the living room.
- Separate a bedroom from a bathroom.
- Separate a guest room from the main room for guests to have privacy during their visit. This also allows you to entertain in your main area and not disturb your guests who are sleeping or resting peacefully.
- Use it in small spaces like an office, study, or den as an alternative to using curtains or blinds that take up space or block out light too much if they’re closed all day long (which can get expensive).
Reasons for Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
Making a room divider screen is a great way to recycle old materials and save money. It can also be customized to your own needs, like hiding clutter or creating privacy while still letting light in. It’s also an easy way to divide space, which can make it more comfortable for you and your family members especially if you live in small homes where there are only one or two bedrooms. Finally, making a room divider screen has its own benefits: It gives you an opportunity to learn something new about construction and design, plus it gives you the chance to create something beautiful that will last for many years.
Steps involved in Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
- Cut the wooden slats to the right length.
- Set up your workspace and paint the wooden slats in light paint color.
- Paint the first slat, let it dry completely, then paint another one until you’ve finished all of them.
Cut your wooden slats to the right length.
The first step is to measure the height and width of the wall you’re going to hang your divider screen. Use this information to cut your wooden slats to the right length. You’ll want them all about 6 inches shorter than the wall’s height so that they don’t block any light when installed at an angle. If you’re using a thinner or wider piece of wood, adjust accordingly just remember that all of your slats should be cut from a single board (not two) so they match up on each side of the screen when put together.
Set up your workspace and paint the wooden slats in light paint color.
- Set up your workspace. Find a place that is large enough to accommodate your room divider screen and set up your paint, brushes, wood slats, and drop cloths on that surface.
- Paint the wooden slats in light paint color. When you are done with this step, you will have a room divider screen that looks like an abstract piece of art instead of something you made yourself.
Paint the first slat and let it dry before painting the next one.
You’ll want to use a paintbrush to paint the slats, but it’s important that you don’t get your brush too wet. If you do, the paint will be runny and will drip down onto your floor or tabletop. You want as little of this as possible to happen so that when you flip over your screen, no one can tell that there were drips of water on it at some point.
The best way to avoid drips is by painting the first slat and letting it dry before painting the next one. Also, make sure not to accidentally cover wet paint with more wet paint; if you do this, then all those extra layers will just slide around once they dry and create an uneven surface (or possibly drip off completely). As long as you’re careful about these things throughout this process and take breaks in between then everything should turn out fine.
Let the paint dry then glue your pine cones onto the back of each slat.
- Let the paint dry.
- Glue your pine cones onto the back of each slat. You can use hot glue or an industrial strength glue, but make sure it’s heavy-duty glue (like Gorilla Glue).
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the pine cones to your slats if you want something simple and fast. If you’d prefer not to use a hot glue gun or are looking for something more permanent, apply some industrial-strength glue to each pine cone before attaching them to your slats.
Screw two sets of door hinge onto the back of each side of two or three of the slats.
Next, you will need to attach two sets of door hinges to the back of each side of two or three of the slats. This is where things get a little tricky, so make sure you’re using the right type and size screws for this step. You want your screw length to be long enough that it goes through both slats but short enough that it doesn’t go all the way through the first set of hinges when attached at the top and bottom. If you don’t have any experience working with screws, try asking an experienced friend or family member for help. They can probably even do most of this project themselves while they’re at it.
Glue your dried flowers on top of the pine cones.
Now, take your dried flowers and glue them on top of the pine cones. You can use any kind of material you have in your home to make these, but I recommend using fresh flowers that haven’t been sitting around for months before you begin this project. If you don’t have any dried flowers on hand and need to buy some, try going to a local craft store or garden store; they will usually have an assortment of dried flower options available for purchase.
Once you’ve picked out which flowers you want to use, cut off the stems with scissors or wire cutters so they are a manageable length (about 1 inch). Remember: it’s best if most of the stem is still attached; otherwise it will be harder for you to glue them onto your pine cone later on.
Materials needed to Make Your Own Room Divider Screen
Now, you’re ready to start making your own room divider screen. You’ll need:
- wooden slats (a 2×4 works well)
- pine cones (or any other decorative object)
- flowers (if you want to add some flowers and make it look nice)
You might also want to consider adding a door hinge at the top of your screen so that it can be easily folded up when not in use.
Tools needed to Make Your Own Room Divider Screen
Assemble the tools you’ll need to make a room divider screen. You will need a hammer, screwdriver, and saw. A pencil is helpful for marking where to cut the pieces of wood, but not absolutely necessary. A paintbrush and some paint are also important you can take care of this step before or after making your screen. Finally, if you’ve got one around the house already, it wouldn’t hurt to have a staple gun handy too.
Cost of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
- Materials: The cost of materials depends on what you want to use. You can buy a kit online that includes instructions, or you can make your own.
- Labor: If you hire someone to build it for you, this will cost money. You could also do it yourself if you have the skills and patience.
- Tips To Reduce Cost: The best way to reduce costs is by buying recycled wood or finding free materials in your area that would otherwise be thrown away.
The material cost of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
The cost of making your own room divider screen is about $25. This includes the materials, which are:
- Pine cones – $10 per bag (about 10 pine cones per bag)
- Flowers – $10-15 for a large arrangement
- Paint – $15 for a small can of paint
- Wood – $5-12 depending on how much you need to cover and what type of wood you want to use
You also need hinges and screws, which costs about $5-$10 each. The glue will cost about $3-$4 per bottle.
The labor cost of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
The labor cost of building your own room divider screen is dependent on how many people are working on it, and how quickly they work. For example, if you have a small crew who works fast, you could probably build one in a day or two. If you’re going solo and don’t have power tools (we recommend using them when possible), then it could take weeks or months to complete your project.
When considering the cost of labor for building your own room divider screen versus buying one from a store, keep in mind that the materials won’t change much between DIY projects and professionally-made ones. The main difference would be the time involved with making each option; however, if you enjoy making things by hand rather than paying someone else to do it for you you might save yourself some money by taking on this task yourself.
Advantages of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
- You save money. The average room divider screen costs between $50 to $200, but you can make your own for just a few dollars. This is especially true if you use recycled materials like soda cans and old magazines.
- You customize the look of your room divider screen. A DIY project gives you the opportunity to be creative and uses items that have meaning for you or others in your home (like family photos). It also allows for more flexibility in terms of size and shape than many models sold at big box stores.
- It’s fun. Crafting something with your hands is satisfying because it provides an outlet for creativity that doesn’t always come up in day-to-day life as well as building self-confidence by demonstrating mastery over a skill set we may not have used before or haven’t used since childhood (e.g., sewing).
Disadvantages of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
However, there are some disadvantages to this method:
- You have to be careful not to damage the pine cones when drilling holes in them.
- The pine cones can be a little tricky to glue onto the slats, but with patience and care, you should be able to get it done without any problems.
Benefits of Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
The benefits of making your own screen are many, and they include:
- You can make your screen any size or shape you want to match the space you’re trying to separate.
- You can use any material that suits the design and style of your room.
- The color options are almost endless. You could paint it, stain it, or even wallpaper over it for a unique look.
- It’s not just for rooms anymore your new divider can also be used in kitchens, pantries, and bathrooms as well as any place else where people need privacy from each other (and pets).
Maintenance tips for Making Your Own Room Divider Screen
- Keep it out of direct sunlight
- Dust it regularly and clean it with a soft cloth or dry cloth
- Avoid using chemicals and harsh detergents; they can damage the fabric.
- Avoid hanging heavy objects on your room divider screen.
It’s a quick and easy project that results in an elegant and trendy room divider screen.
- It’s a quick and easy project that results in an elegant and trendy room divider screen.
- You can use this DIY to divide your room into smaller spaces.
- Also, you can use it to create privacy in your home.
Making Your Own Room Divider Screen is a great way to create a custom piece for your home’s decor. It’s easy and fun to do, plus you can make it as simple or fancy as you want to depend on what materials you use and how much time you want to spend on the project. The best part? Once it’s completed, this room divider screen will last for years.