A folding screen room divider is a great way to add some privacy to any room in your house. You can make one yourself out of some scrap wood and some basic tools, and it will look fantastic.
First, you’ll need to measure the width of the area where you want to put your folding screen. Make sure that you leave enough room for the hinges and latch (usually about 3 inches). Then, measure the height of the area as well. For example, if you’re putting your folding screen in a bedroom and want it to be able to stand up on its own, then make sure that when you fold it up against the wall there’s enough space for someone to walk behind it comfortably.
Next, decide what kind of wood will work best for your project you can use anything from oak or maple to pine or cedar. If it’s going into a bedroom or living room where there are lots of other furniture pieces with different types of finishes, then try using something like oak so that everything matches nicely together.
Now it’s time to start cutting. Measure out two pieces of 2×4 lumber that are approximately 6 feet long each; these will serve as both sides of your frame when they’re laid flat against each other.
Making your own folding screen room divider is an easy and inexpensive way to add privacy to any room. The materials are simple, but you’ll need a few tools. We’ve included everything you need to know about this project, including what steps are involved in Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider and so on.
What is A Folding Screen Room Divider
Folding screens are a great way to add privacy to your space. They’re also a great way to divide a room or create a temporary wall.
They can be made out of almost anything, and they are very easy to make.
What is Folding Screen Room Divider used for?
Folding screen room dividers are a great way to keep your space organized and tidy. You can use them as an accent piece, or fold them up when you need them out of the way. A folding screen is also an excellent choice for adding privacy in an open-concept room. It’s easy to fold up or down quickly, so you can have the best of both worlds.
Reasons for Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
Making your own folding screen is a great way to get exactly what you want. There are many reasons why people choose to custom-make their own folding screen room divider:
- Custom Size – If you want a different shape or size than what is available in the store, it’s easy to create your own by using a design program and printing out your measurements on paper.
- Personal Touch – With so many options on the market today, it can be hard to find something that looks exactly how you imagined it would look in your home or office. If you’re looking for something unique and original but aren’t sure where to start, consider making your own.
- Color Options – You have complete control over color when designing your own room divider. Whether you prefer neutrals or bold colors, there’s no limit on what can go into this project.
A folding screen is a great way to add privacy to your space.
A folding screen is a great way to add privacy to your space. It’s also very versatile and can be used in many different areas of your home. You can make your own folding screen out of wood, metal, or other materials that you have lying around the house. The best part? It folds up and down easily and will fit into any room in the house.
Whether you have a large open living space that needs a divider or need some extra privacy while reading in bed, this DIY project has you covered. If you don’t have time to build one yourself, there are tons of options available online with free shipping all over the world (I found mine on Amazon).
Steps involved in Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
Measure the length of your wall where you want the screen to hang. You’ll need two pieces of wood in this length, and one extra piece cut in half. These will be your dividers. Then measure the width of your wall on each side of the room you’re looking to divide as well as its height (including any molding). Finally, measure any baseboards or crown molding that run along that side of the room so you know how tall they are and can build around them when building your frame.
Now it’s time to make some cuts. You should have three pieces for each divider: two long ones and one short one cut down from a longer piece (this will be used for attaching them together).
First, measure the length of your wall where you want the screen to hang.
- First, measure the length of your wall where you want the screen to hang. If you’re using a standard tape measure, this is the easiest part.
- Then measure the width of your wall where you want it to hang.
- Finally, measure the height of your wall where you want it to hang (in case there are any outlets or other obstructions).
You’ll need two pieces of wood in this length, and one extra piece cut in half. These will be your dividers.
You’ll need two pieces of wood in this length, and one extra piece cut in half. These will be your dividers. Make sure that the wood is coated with primer and paint, as it will show through your fabric.
Make sure that the wood is coated with primer and paint, as it will show through your fabric.
When you buy a room divider that is made of wood, it’s important to know that the paint will show through your fabric. You can use primer and paint to prevent chipping on the wood or damage from humidity.
Make sure that the wood is coated with primer and paint, as it will show through your fabric. The primer will help protect the wood from moisture damage and keep it from chipping off during use; while the paint protects it from getting scratched up by moving furniture around in close quarters (and if you have pets).
The primer and paint also help protect against water damage as well, so if you live somewhere where there are high levels of humidity like Florida or New Orleans then this may be a good choice for you.
Cut lengths of string that are twice as long as the width of your wood.
You’ll want to cut lengths of string that are twice as long as the width of your wood. You can use a ruler to measure the length, but I found it easier to use a piece of string. To do this, hold one end against the edge and pull it across until you reach the other side. Then cut off any excess string (you won’t need much if you’re using a small piece).
You can also use a measuring tape if you don’t want to keep pulling out your ruler and cutting pieces every time you need one.
Using a staple gun, attach a piece of string along each edge, pulling it tight to create ridges in the fabric.
Once you have your wood cut, place the first piece on top of your fabric. Staple the string to one of the edges of the wood, making sure that it is pulled tight. You’ll want this to create a ridge in your fabric so that when you fold it over, it creates a crease and doesn’t just hang flat against each side.
Next comes attaching another piece of wood onto the already stapled edge with the second row of staples (staples should go through both pieces). Keep adding rows until all sides are covered with two layers plus fringe on top and bottom.
Finally, staple some string along each edge again while pulling as tight as possible before folding under one inch at each corner creating four pleats per side (16 total).
Allow everything to dry, then fill in any exposed seams between pieces of wood using wood filler.
Make sure everything has dried completely before moving on to the next step. To fill any visible gaps between pieces of wood, use a paintbrush and wood filler to apply a thin layer across the top surface of each piece. Let it dry for at least 24 hours, then smooth out any rough spots with a putty knife or sandpaper.
Staple another piece of string all along the back on either side over the seam between two dividers to hold them together.
Staple another piece of string all along the back on either side over the seam between two dividers to hold them together. Use a staple gun or a hammer and nails, depending on your preference. The string can be any color, but I prefer to use clear string so that it blends in with the wood better.
With these steps, you can make a beautiful folding screen out of just a little bit of fabric and some spare wood.
- A length of fabric (we used lovely cotton shirting) that is at least twice as long as the width you would like your screen to be. We used 2 yards for each panel but adjust accordingly.
- Wood trim pieces cut to size ours are 33″x12″ each (you can use any type of wood trim board/skirting board that you have lying around).
- A drill with screws or nails (to attach the wood trim boards together)
Advantages of Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
There are several advantages to creating your own folding screen room divider.
- It’s a fun and easy project.
- You can make it any size you need.
- You can customize the design to your space. For example, if you have an oddly-shaped room or one that doesn’t have much natural light, there are many ways to make the most of what little space you have available by adding a folding screen room divider that will create sections for different activities in your home (such as reading and cooking).
- You can use any fabric you want. Plus, if something happens to go wrong during assembly (it happens), there’s no need for panic because most fabrics are easy enough for beginners to handle on their own. And last but not least…
- It’s also a great way to add privacy
Disadvantages of Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
While you will save money by making your own folding screen room divider, there are some drawbacks to consider before getting started.
- The wood may not be as sturdy as the store-bought ones. If you don’t buy high-quality wood and use good techniques for construction and finishing, it is possible that your folding screen room divider will warp after a few years or splinter if it gets wet.
- You will need to purchase additional tools to make your own folding screen room divider; even if you already have tools, they may not be the right ones for this project (e.g., drill presses are used in many bookcases and other furniture projects). Additionally, unless you have lots of experience with power tools or know how to do specialized carpentry work such as mortise-and-tenon joints (which are used on many bookshelves), building this project by hand could take longer than expected and require more materials than anticipated because mistakes might be made along the way that requires fixing later on in the process.
Materials needed to Make Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
The materials needed to make your own folding screen room divider are:
- Wood (any type of wood can be used, but if you have limited access to tools, consider using something soft like pine or cedar)
- Fabric (cheap muslin works great)
- Staple gun and staples (if you don’t already have one)
- String (for hanging up once it’s done)
Tools needed to Make Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
- Staple gun
- Wood filler
- Measuring tape (or ruler)
- Sewing machine
Benefits of Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
- It is a great way to add privacy to your space.
- A folding screen is a great way to divide your room.
- It is easy to make and can be used in any room.
Cost of Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
If you are planning to make your own folding screen room divider, you will need to consider the cost of materials, labor, and tools. The total cost of making your own folding screen room divider includes:
- The material costs. This includes the fabric and paint used for your project. It is important that you purchase high-quality materials so that they will last longer than they normally would if they were purchased from a store or other retail location.
- Labor costs. It takes time and effort to complete any project such as this one, which means that people who are helping with their construction should be compensated accordingly for their efforts. If no one volunteers their time free of charge then it may be necessary for those who do have jobs outside their homes (such as working at home businesses) to pay each other by hourly rates instead of flat rates because working together means sharing knowledge about how much work has been done thus far which makes it easier when determining whether or not someone should take breaks during lunchtime.
The labor cost of Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
Labor cost is another factor that you should consider. The amount of time it takes to make a folding screen is dependent on how much you are willing to do yourself. You can use a sewing machine to speed up the process, or you can do it all by hand. If your budget is flexible, then having someone else make the screens for you will cost more than making them yourself but this way, they will be exactly what you want and save some time in the process as well.
Maintenance tips for Making Your Own Folding Screen Room Divider
As with any piece of furniture, your folding screen room divider is going to need a little TLC in order to keep it looking great for years. Here are some tips for maintenance:
- Clean Your Screen Room Divider Regularly. The best way to keep your folding screen room divider looking its best is by keeping it clean. Dust and dirt can collect on the fabric over time, but regular cleaning will prevent this from happening and make maintaining your new piece easier in the long run.
- Protect Your Folding Screen Room Divider From Water Damage. If you live in an area where there are frequent thunderstorms or heavy rains, consider getting a cover for your folding screen room divider so that you don’t have to worry about protecting it from water damage just remember that cats love hiding under covers.
- Keep Your Screen Room Divider Away From Pets And Children – Cats love eating paper mache crafts because they taste good (yes really) so if you have cats around make sure that there aren’t any loose pieces lying around where they could eat them up. Also, avoid leaving food or drink unattended near where someone might spill something on top which could cause damage over time.
The folding screen room divider is a great idea. You can put it up when you need it and take it down when you don’t. It’s easy to store and move around with ease.